Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Taste Of Germany

Sometimes I eat things just to make people jealous.  I generally aim for making the masses jealous.  This time, I was able to appease Boy's love of all things hotdog and target my jealousy campaign at one friend in particular, who I will call Jealous Dude to protect his identity.   I've been making a ridiculously large number of batches of sauerkraut due to cabbage showing up in my CSA crate repeatedly.  Jealous Dude has repeatedly threatened me with needing a saukerkraut tasting due to his unhealthy obsession with sauerkraut.  Claims that he will bring the brats have not come to fruition and so, after a long day of kayaking, mini-golfing, salsa dancing, and parkour training, I decided it was time for my tribute to Germany.

I went to Balducci's on a whim.  Mostly because it was on the way home from the park and because I knew it was supposed to be a fancy grocery store.  Fancier and more outrageously expensive than Whole Foods.  But I knew that I needed to find a brat and buns worthy of my homemade sauerkraut.  Balducci's did not fail me. 


We chose Binkert's Bauernwurst on the recommendation of the meat counter guy, a beef and pork mixed brat which incorporates mustard into the seasoning mix.  The whole wheat buns were hearty and looked like they could stand up to the brats.  A dollop of spicy brown mustard and some grilled sweet corn from my CSA crate rounded out the meal and my plans for delicious, amazing, perfectly balanced German amazingness was complete. 

No comments: