Saturday, June 28, 2008

Real Actual Tomatoes

I love Farmer's Markets. Living in a big urban sprawl means that grocery stores carry tomatoes which have been transported half green from California or Mexico. A friend of mine and I strolled through the Farmer's Market near our respective houses and we pounced on the reddest loveliest tomatoes we could find. The farmer had lovingly picked them the day before. These tomatoes were so red and firm that I couldn't resist. You could just smell the tomato-y-ness. We're still in what I dub the season of "Greens." Still too early in the season for a good variety of produce, but I nabbed the last of the Koi Spinach. With my goodies in hand, I went home and found all the fixings for Roasted Garlic Tomato Spinach Pizza.


I made some quick pizza dough sans recipe for the first time. Honey, olive oil, water, salt, yeast, millet flour, and whole wheat flour. I didn't measure anything. Just went by feel and it turned out pretty good. I only had time for a single rise, but that was okay. While the dough was rising, I preheated my oven and pizza stone to 480.

Then I thinly sliced about 5 big cloves of garlic. Paper thin. Tossed them with some olive oil and set my toaster oven on low heat for about 3 minutes. Just until the edges got barely golden. Then when I rolled out the dough, I covered it with the sliced garlic, created a thin layer of golden garlicky goodness. Then, on top went thick aromatic slices of tomato, a sprinkling of organic mozzarella cheese, and steamed spinach. 11 minutes later, I had a thing of beauty. I topped it with some fresh basil and ate the entire thing in one sitting!

No comments: